Monday, March 23, 2009

Up the mountain, around the corner, down the cliff... swimming in the pools

22/03/09
Holy cow! Where to start? Let me tell you about my adventure filled weekend... and tiring! Imagine the kinds of Africa that you picture based on the books- that you think exists but haven’t experienced it yet, or seen it first hand. The places that roads can't take you and sadly tourists might miss out on. That is what we experienced on our hike this last weekend. Due to water restraints, not as many pictures were captured as would have been ideal, but nonetheless those hours spent in the freshwater pools on our hike were breathtaking. I couldn’t help but think while I was on the hike, back to the beautiful lead jungle situated at the Henry Doorly Zoo in good ol’ Omaha, Nebraska and the fact that you can walk through the different places and it will show you.. now entering Africa, Asia and so on. Now I believe that those engineers that planned the jungle actually knew what they were talking about. The big green trees and the way you feel when you walk through the downstairs part of the jungle… I felt as if we just cut through one little part and swam down it. The hike was that cool.
While we were hiking I had a lot of time where I was behind most of the group (I’m not a very skilled rock walker), but still ahead of the other group, so caught right in between. It was a great time of clarity and just feel the peace and just be able to walk and take everything in. I believe that knowledge can come in all shapes and forms and I truly believe that people can become masters of their own craft, their own art, their own work or trade, whatever it is that fuels their fire is what they are geniuses of. Yes, I am implying that all people are geniuses. But I truly believe that if you are passionate and able to speak out on what you know, then yes! You are an expert. Congratulations! We hiked with some interesting people, and just hearing anyone speak, no matter what it is about, I am genuinely intrigued when they show so much passion and excitement about their own interests. The youngest one we were hiking with besides the 3 of us students were probably 30, then 50, then 60 something, then 69. Interesting to say the least! I could hardly keep up with the 69 year old at some points. Just goes to show how much joy in your life can take you and where it can bring you. They were fun to sit around the camp fire (braai) after the long hike.
Amazing experience in the Groendal mountains overall. Probably my first real adventure hike, and maybe more to come in the future. They told us of some we should check out when we go to Cape Town, plus some others nearby that some friends might want to go together.
Ah, one more thing I want to mention! We braai’ed all of the fish we caught last Thursday night and it was SO delicious! We caught mostly cob (or cod?) and one huge muscle cracker- one of the pride and joys of the sea (you should have seen Nial’s reaction when Kari caught one- especially the size of it!). We individualized each group of fish- whether using all sorts of fresh veggies, to lemon to pepper to braai spice to garlic to pineapple, it was a feast! Don’t worry, I took pictures =).

I just wanted to say thanks for reading, for anyone who is. I appreciate you taking time out of your day to experience this journey with me. Please know how much I care about and appreciate you, and most likely love you =). Please have a bit of patience with me and accept my apologies that I’m not able to keep in touch with everyone as much as I would like to. But I am always thinking about you all and talking about you! It is pretty much guaranteed that your pictures are lining my walls in my little room and making it all a little cozier (people are kind of jealous I brought so many pictures, but you guys keep me going). If you think of it, or get a chance, please send me an email to let me know how you’re doing (or facebook message). I would absolutely love to hear from you, and pretty sure hearing from you might make my day. Keep me updated on what is going on in the U.S.! People keep asking how things have been going since Obama has been in office, and I kind of have to put my face down and answer that since I’ve been here I’ve mostly been out of the loop- no internet home page coming up daily with my news updates, no news at night nor magazines or newspapers- from the U.S. anyway. So if you have an extra minute in your day, send a message my way!

Love you much and hoping you are doing well! Will post again as soon as I can. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment