Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Leap for the Mountains

I don't know how it happens... but it's like I get so caught up in the moment that I actually forget that I am in South Africa.. but then it's always the little things that bring me back.. the fact that on any given day I can see monkeys on campus, or that I go exciting new places each weekend, or the fact that I am driving/riding on the left side of the road, I have a pool in my front yard, I hear TOWNTOWN everywhere I walk or just that the sun is shining and I'm breathing it all in. Of course the sun shines everywhere you go, and maybe that's some of what I'm learning while I'm here.. that from the joy and the experiences of day to day simple pleasures I will be able to take that home with me. Like the fact that I cannot wait to get home and walk to Hy Vee to get my groceries! (The one in Omaha, not Mankato ;-) ). But really, I will even bring my Spar (grocery store here) bag home with me so that I remember! Just everything. I am in awe.. disbelief.. and even feel unworthy for being able to experience something that is so unbelievable and eye opening all at the same time. But then again I think it makes sense. Being able to travel here with a large group was beneficial because, of course, it was my first time traveling outside the U.S. But now I have come here and met so many people, I feel as if not only do I have future traveling buddies, but that I also have people to travel with to see. And living outside the U.S. for a semester/six month was probably good for the first time, but next time I'm thinking possibly a year. Not to get ahead of myself or anything! But while I'm here I can't help but think about the rest of it.. the future, what is to come.
Why take a step when you can take a leap??! I never want to stop learning about people, places, things, cultures. I love people and knowing what fuels them, and what fire they live for in their daily life. So much of my classes are focusing on the stories that people are living on a day to day basis.. not even kidding. My sports coaching is constantly referring to what type of person YOU want to be, how are you showing that, how are people reading that? My photo journalism class is constantly stressing the story.. the story behind the photo and the content (not just composition!) but what is really there to look at it, how does it make you feel, what do you see differently because of it? And then my Youth Work (adolescent social work is the easiest way to explain) class is looking at the social capital side... seeing the community for what it is and recognizing the assets and strengths that it can bring and pull together. Not just looking into community work, where people go in and just implement a program that might be needed, might not, might work, might not.. but instead looking at the strengths of the community, where they lie, what they need and what may be beneficial to them in the future and instead of 'work' it is long term and giving the community itself the power to take control of their future, aka, community development.
Now lets put those all together... defining Stephanie's future? Is this a bit too much to be talking about right now? Possibly, but either way it is on my heart and has been, and is starting to make more sense.

My heart leaps, my heart breaks and my heart is strengthened every time I go into the township. I am encouraged and uplifted, yet hesitant and uneasy. It is never not an awkward thing (sorry it's my love for double negatives) to arrive on a 'shuttle' if you will, a van that seats up to 22 and has safari/ocean type scenes painted on the side, yet when you drive by the children, their faces light up and they wave-- but you can't help but wonder what people think of all of these, mostly white, yet not all American, students coming in. I don't see anything broken about the community and I don't intend to fix anything while I'm there. I do intend to love and possibly teach the children, show maybe a little more patience and give them a little attention and recognition for their efforts and energy that they have flowing from them at all seams. But this is all short term, short term for us at least, and the German interns that are working there, so does that get us much further? It all goes back to the idea behind community work and development (emphasis being on the work and the development). I believe that through education is empowerment. Do I see these children's futures? Do I hesitate before asking them what they want to be when they grow up? Do I know enough about the culture and the society that they are raised in to be able to make such calls? No. The answer is straight forward: no, I don't. What little I know is not comparable to a lifetime of knowledge, of events and people and a full timeline that does not give justice to where they are in their lives. Our position is to have open minds and open hearts. To show maybe just a bit more patience, give just a little more time, and always think back and remember those people who influenced us while we were growing up.. a caring teacher, that extra cool babysitter, a coach that spent so many hours working simply on the concepts of understanding work ethic can trump talent, that time and effort can say more than one good shot, one good game, one super swim or one sweet dance move (hey, it's where I come from). But it's true, each person growing up has people that come together and surround them, creating a support system that helps with the transitioning phases in their life. Does it hurt thinking that after this short semester I won't be returning? Yes, but that is eased by the fact that people will still be in their lives, and that there is more adventure, more children and people and places and lives yet to be known ahead. My oh my Africa, you have so much to teach me. I had an amazing conversation the other morning, Saturday morning to be exact, and I think it was one of those divine moment things, where the right people's paths crossed, just enough to give one another encouragement and have hope even in nearly forgotten, lost friendships. Amazing how an hour of conversation can completely open up my eyes and even give a bit more hope where hope might have been fading. It's a wonder, an amazing wonder the way in which life weaves it's way into this beautiful picture, no not picture, but a book. A story book with lots of pretty pictures and fun captions that we all get to enjoy. Oiy! Did I boggle your mind today? I think I boggled my own! Taking a leap with posting this post, but I'm going to do it anyway. After all, this is Africa, anything goes.

Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment